Sunday, December 5, 2010

Me and My Quilts

So I guess my first entry should be a little about me and my quilts.

I've been quilting for almost a year now. I bought my sewing machine in January and started a Beginner Quilting class in March. We learned strip piecing, sandwiching, quilting, and binding in the most simple ways. Actually, I was the only on in the class to want to learn bias binding, so I guess that wasn't the simplest, but it's a must for any quilt that is going to get a lot of love. At the end of the class, the teacher told me privately she could tell the I would thrive in quilting and go on to make many quilts. The other 3 women in the class seemed to be more like sewers who wanted to make a quilt.

In that class I made this quilt for my mom:





And at the same time, I was taking the same steps at home- I wanted to be using what I was learning in class- to create another quilt. When I started it, I thought I would give it as a gift, but I loved it so much, I kept it. Right now it's on my sister's bed, but she lives with us, so that's ok :)


I then made 2 Quilts for Kids quilts to keep working on my basic quilting skills. The 2nd one was my first time working with half square triangles:




I then worked on a quilt for a friend's son's 4th birthday:


I then began to work on my biggest quilt yet, a twin extra long, for my brother's first year at college. He is going to Cornell and the school's colors are red and white and he loves music.



And during the construction of my brother's quilt, I started and finished this baby quilt for a friend's baby shower: 



So that's pretty much it for now. I'm working on a quilt now for my sister that will probably be able twin size when it's done. I'm working on the blocks now and when they're done, I'll choose the borders and backing.

No comments:

Post a Comment